The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chapter 1-The Things They Carried

The first chapter/story was an interesting one. I liked how each character was introduced by what they carried, it was unique. It seems as if the main character is first lieutenant Jimmy Cross. In the beginning of the chapter, he is very unaware due to his daydreams and images of a girl named Martha. Its kind of foolish that Jimmy seems so obsessed with her when it is repeatedly stated that she does not feel the same way about him. At first, I predicted that he would end up dying due to his lack of awareness of surroundings but he got himself together at the end of the chapter. I'm glad he did because he definitely wouldn't have survived with the mind state he was in. Even though Jimmy Cross lacked focus the most, I'm sure all characters did. The hard thing about war is ignoring all the thoughts you have in your head about family and friends and actually focusing on the war. This is some of the weight that all the characters faced along with all the things they had to carry physically. I think Tim O' Brien emphasizes the weight that all the characters carry well by repetition and anaphora. This helped me slow down as a reader and focus on the book more. I think this chapter was a introduction to all the hardships that one has to face in war. You have to stay focused. However, characters like Mitchell Sanders have a good sense of humor and like to joke around some. I believe you have to do this to ease some of the weight like the guns, radios, ammunition as well as thoughts of girlfriends, family, and friends. Judging off of this chapter, I like O' Brien's style of writing and I think it will keep me interested throughout the book

No comments:

Post a Comment