The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chapters/Stories # 18 & 19-"Good Form" & "Field Trip"

In the story "Good Form", I agree with O' Brien when he says his invention of these stories is not a game but it's a form. It is a good form like the name of the chapter. O' Brien emphasizes the power of memory and storytelling so well. It gives me a new point of view on stories. It is amazing that the story-truth is sometimes truer than the happening-truth and how it make the happening-truth appear so vividly. The story-truth brings O' Brien's past experiences back to memory. He is brilliant for using his storytelling ability to reveal the truth, I don't think anyone else would think of that. When my friends and I tell stories, I focus on the truth and I call them out for lying about something. O' Brien makes me appreciate the story-truth and helps me understand his experiences of the Vietnam War. Stories can make things present and that's the amazing part about it if you really think about it. I think a lot of people fail to realize that, including me until I started reading this book. The stories in this book help Tim O' Brien face fears that he was scared to face twenty years ago.

The story "Field Trip" emphasizes the power of the "shit field" again. Who would have ever thought it would have so much power? O' Brien said he felt like it had swallowed his best friend, his pride, his small dignity and courage, basically his old self. Now that he goes back to visit, he feels as if he is finally his old self again and that the field has been holding him back for so long. He says that the "shit field" embodies all the waste that was Vietnam and that's what I was thinking in one of the earlier stories. It's crazy that O' Brien didn't feel like the war was over until this day that he visited the field. Maybe he felt like he had finally recovered, like his feelings had finally got untied from the war. But those memories will always be present. I think that Tim O' Brien felt he had to swim in the field because he was so deeply connected with it. His daughter Kathleen is too young to understand and it is clear to see that she doesn't value memory yet. I'm sure O' Brien can teach her how to though. I didn't really know what to make out of the old farmer and Tim O' Brien's staring at each other. I think there is some tension between the old farmer and O' Brien because of the Vietnam war and now that O' Brien feels that the war is over, so does the old farmer which is why he holds his shovel up like a flag.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this novel amazing! You seem to really appreciate it. Even for me, who spends lots of time with stories, I begin to see stories in a more profound way. O'Brien reminds us that whether true or not, they are essential.

    This makes me think, when do we begin to "value memory"?

    ReplyDelete